Years of eating and drinking items high in sugar can cause significant damage to the long-term health of your teeth. Failing to brush and floss daily can also allow plaque - a sticky bio-film comprised of harmful oral bacteria - to slowly erode away at your tooth enamel, resulting in the developments of cavities.
When you need a dental filling to repair the damage done by tooth decay, our dental care in Longmont team at Twin Peaks Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, can restore your teeth back to health with the use of natural looking composite fillings. Unlike traditional metal, or amalgam, fillings that stand out against your tooth enamel, composite fillings blend seamlessly into the nature color and contour of your tooth. Composite fillings are highly durable, and can last a lifetime when properly maintain.
Advantages of Composite Fillings
- Composite fillings harden after just a few seconds, rather than days as is the case with most types of amalgam fillings.
- Composite fillings blend seamlessly into the natural appearance of your tooth, making it nearly impossible for anyone to notice the filling.
- Unlike amalgam fillings, composite fillings actually bond to the structure of your tooth, providing additional support.
- Placement of a composite filling requires the removal of less of your natural tooth structure when compared to amalgam fillings.
Disadvantages of Amalgam Fillings
- Amalgam fillings are comprised of a variety of metals, and often contain small trace amounts of mercury. Some research suggests that the mercury found in these types of fillings can actually leach into the blood, causing higher mercury levels than normal.
- The edges of amalgam fillings can cause stains to develop on your teeth and gums. This can lead to the discoloration of your surrounding teeth and a less pleasing overall aesthetic appearance to your smile.
- The metal in amalgam filling can expand and contract during normal wear, which can cause teeth to crack as a result.
- While amalgam fillings can last for years, they also can wear down and break. This can cause additional decay to the tooth and the potential for cracks to develop.
Crowns can be used to entirely cover a tooth damaged by decay or injury. In addition to strengthening a damaged tooth, a crown can be also be used to improve its shape, appearance and function. Learn about our more our CEREC same day crowns here.
Fitting a dental crown requires our Longmont dentists to remove any dental decay from the surface of your tooth prior to shaping the tooth as needed. With CEREC same day crowns, no temporary crown is needed to complete your treatment. Instead, our team will place, adjust and cement your crown into position during your visit. The end result will provide you will a healthy, great-looking tooth that will last for years when properly cared for through daily brushing and flossing.
At Twin Peaks Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. McKay Butler and Dr. Chuck Skinner offer patients the most advanced dental care possible in our comfortable and relaxing Longmont dentist office.
1325 Dry Creek Dr Ste 206
Longmont, CO 80503